Corpus Usage Tools
Online Reference Tool "Shonagon"
This is an online method of public access usable by anyone. When a certain word or phrase is entered, all examples containing that query are shown. It provides the ability to filter results by medium (e.g. newspapers, magazines, books, etc.), and year of publication. The following restrictions apply:
- Regardless of the total number of results, a maximum of 500 will be displayed.
- The output of the results will show only the 40 characters before and after the results as context - it will only be a small portion of the recorded sample.
- Regular expressions are allowed before and after the search query. You cannot use regular expressions within the search query.
Online Reference Tool "Chunagon"
"Chunagon" is a method of access for users who require access to large amounts of data, such as Japanese language researchers, or dictionary authors.
- Allows searching using morphological information.
- Allows for searching by short-unit word, long-unit word, and strings.
- User authetification occurs before use - registration is required.
- Even if a large number of search results are found, all of them will be shown.
- You can specifiy additional conditions up to 10 units long before and after the search query.
- You can choose to display the context surrounding the search results (up to 500 characters before/after the result).
Full Text Reference Software "Himawari"
This is a software platform designed for use in language research, which allows simplified searching in XML format documents. It has the following features:
- Able to do high-speed lookups of specific character strings in XML documents (via Unicode).
- Features KWIC (keyword in context) display of results, as well as the ability to browse in a format suitable for the materials.