We have posted here some of the commonly asked questions we have received up to now, and their answers.
Regarding applications (general)
- Ｑ：Can we make inquiries by phone, or apply by fax?
- Ａ：Sorry, but inquiries are by e-mail only, and applications must be mailed.
- Ｑ：Do I need to pay a further usage fee for each automatic update of the contract?
- Ａ：You do not. Unless there is a large version update in the future, you only need to pay the usage fee the 1st time.
- Ｑ：I also need a statement of delivery in addition to the invoice, is it possible to receive one?
- Ａ：Because this will take time to coordinate, please let us know at the time of your application.
- Ｑ：Is it possible to receive a written quote?
- Ａ：Because this takes time to coordinate, please let us know at the time of your application. If you need this prior to applying, please let us know via e-mail.
- Ｑ：Is it possible to have the DVDs and the invoice sent to separate locations?
- Ａ：Because this has to be specially coordinated, please send the necessary information together with your application.
- Q: Is the data in the previous versions and the latest revision the same? If I have a previous edition's data, do I need to repurchase the lastest version?
- A: The latest version corrects some errors and other issues that have been discovered since the release of the previous data. If you have the previous version's data, the CSJ release office offers the differential data. A password is required.
Firstly, on the "How to apply" page, check the section titled "For those who have purchased the 1st - 3rd editions". Also see the page "Major changes in the 4th edition".
Regarding application type: Companies
- Q: I work at the institute of a corporation, can I apply as a "Research insitute"?
- Ａ：ous schools, independent administrative agencies, national research institutions, and other institutions which are more or less public in their research.
- Q: We are planning joint research with a subsidiary; is it necessary to purchase two licenses?
- A: If there is a clear single administrator for the project, and the range in which the corpus will be used it clear, it may be permissible to use a single license. Please describe the specific range of usage that is expected on the application form (the departments, number of employees, etc. that will be using it). We will discuss internally and determine whether a second licenadse is necessary.
- Q: Is it possible to do the following under a single license?
- ・Make a copy to HDD from the DVD? We plan to copy the corpus to hard disc for use in experiments as it is more convenient.
- ・Convert the data format? We plan to convert the format of the data for use in certain experiments.
- ・Allow access to the data from multiple PCs? We expect to make access available from multiple computers.
- ・Make copies for a number of different people within the company?
- A: As long as the usage is within the bounds permitted by the contract, all of the above is allowed.
Regarding application type: Research institutions and individual researchers
- Q: Our university does not have a "Laboratory" division. Is it possible to apply as a "Graduate school"?
- A: If that is the smallest division, then please apply as a graduate school. In the Name field of the application, please put down the name of the professor who will actually be using the CSJ.
- Q: If applying as a "Research institution", does the person given as a "Individual representative of the division" have to be an officially recognized representative of the institution?
- A: The question seems to be whether or not it is necessary to apply under the name of someone such as the Dean or department head at a university. There is no such need. Please apply under the name of the person who will actually be using the corpus.
- Q: On the application form, it's noted that "Applications for individual researchers are for personal use only". However, if a number of researchers (teaching staff) not belonging to the same university are planning to conduct join research, what type of application would be best?
- A: There are a few possible scenarios based on the question above. Please select the one that most closely represents your planned joint research.
In the case that Prof. X from A university and Prof. Y from B university are planning to conduct joint research using the CSJ... As long as Prof. X applies as a "Research institution", he/she can conduct joint research with Prof. Y and publish the result as the first author, even if Prof. Y does not make an application. However, papers listing Prof. Y as a single author, or co-authored papers not listing Prof. X as the first author cannot be published.
If Prof. X and Prof. Y both apply as individual researchers, then either joint research between the two or individual research results can both be published, but it would not be allowable to publish any research involving third parties.
If Prof. X and Y were to both apply as research institutions, then the above mentioned restrictions would be eliminated.
- Q: Regarding the application as a "Research institute"; if the person listed as the user moved to another institution during the application process, what should be done?
- A: If there is a change in the institutional affiliation of the user listed on the application, the usage rights will remain with the institution that originally filed the application. If that is the case, please let us know the name of the new administrator. In addition, if the professor who changed affiliation wishes to continue to use the CSJ, they will have to file a new application.
- Q: If we applied as a graduate school, is it possible for students writing their masters / doctoral thesis to use the corpus?
- A: Graduate students attached to the applying graduate school will be able to use the corpus. However, please record how the corpus will be used to support the student's progress on the application form.
Regarding application type: Student
- Q: I was hoping to buy a copy for the library at my university, is this possible?
- A: In order to protect the privacy of the speakers, we do not allow purchases by places such as libraries where all of a university's students could access the data. It is possible to buy copies for institutions where the possible users are limited, such as the libraries of graduate schools and research annexes.
Regarding application type: Commercial use
- Q: It is a bit hard to understand how far the scope of 'general use' extends when the corpus is being used at a company.
- A: It is difficult to make a clear delineation, but please consider the following.
Even if the corpus is being used in product development, until the product has been commercialized it still falls under a general use license. However, when you do reach the stage of promoting a product's release, please contact NINJAL. At that stage, we will review whether or not it will be necessary for you to apply again based on an overview of the products. The main purpose of this review is to check whether or not the privacy of the speakers is infringed upon. If after review we determine that there are no issues with the planned commercial use, then you will enter into a new commercial use contract. The above applies if you initially entered a general use contract, if you initially entered a commercial use contract it may still be necessary to start another contract. If you did intially sign a commercial use contract and the release of the product is imminent, please do contact us using the information below.
- Q: Do you make a profit at this price?
- A: Making a profit is not the purpose (in order to recover development costs we would have to charge 10 times more than the current price). The usage fees are allotted to pay for maintenance costs such as error correction and redistribution fees.