Muromachi Period Series: Overview INTRODUCTION
We have made publicly available the morphologically annotated data of the Toraakira-bon Kyōgen Collection.
Muromachi Period Series I: Kyōgen
Theatric works known as kyōgen (lit. "crazy speech") are considered to be crucial material on spoken language from the Muromachi Period through the Edo Period.
Among these, the Toraakira-bon (from the hand of Ōkura Yatarō Toraakira (Kan'ei 19 (1642)), 13th generation patriarch of the principle house of the Ōkura school), represent materials of the first order in terms of quality and volume.
For the source text we have taken what, as of March 2015, represents the most recent critical annotated edition of the Toraakira-bon: Otsuka Mitsunobu (ed.) (2006) Ōkura Toraakira Nō Kyōgen-shū (Seibundō shuppan)
In this corpus we have
- rendered searchable the works of from waki-kyōgen no rui (auspicious plays) to yorozu atsume rui (myriad gallimaufry) works, including the 236 hon-kyōgen (stand-alone dramas) * (excepting the Introductions and the Epilogues);
- undertaken a recension of part of the texts, adding information about their classification and the identities of the speaking parts;
- added annotation of morphological information to words, including their "readings" (pronunciations), part-of-speech, inflection, etc.
Please read before using.
*The numbering of the works is taken from Ikeda, Hiroshi; Kitahara, Yasuo (1972) Ōkura Toraakira-bon Kyōgen no kenkyū, Main texts, Vol. 1 (Hyōgen-sya).
Note for Users
Presentations of research results using this corpus must include a citation taking the general form of the example below (with appropriate modifications depending on the version and the date of access):
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics, Center for Corpus Development (Ichimura,Tarō; Watanabe, Yuki, et. al.) (eds.) (2016) "Corpus of Historical Japanese, Muromachi Period Series, Volume I: Kyōgen." (Short Unit Word data 1.1 / Long Unit Word data 1.1, Chunagon version 2.2.1) http://pj.ninjal.ac.jp/corpus_center/chj/muromachi.html (accessed October 26, 2016).
* As long as one of either the version or the date of access is clearly cited, the other can be omitted, as below:
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (2016) "Corpus of Historical Japanese, Muromachi Period Series, Volume I: Kyōgen." http://pj.ninjal.ac.jp/corpus_center/chj/muromachi.html (accessed October 26, 2016).
- National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics (2016) "Corpus of Historical Japanese, Muromachi Period Series, Volume I: Kyōgen." (Short Unit Word data 1.1 / Long Unit Word data 1.1, Chunagon version 2.2.1) http://pj.ninjal.ac.jp/corpus_center/chj/muromachi.html
Users will need to access the Corpus of Historical Japanese through the online search engine Chunagon. Completion of a Users Licensing Agreement is required.
Please refer to the following: The Corpus of Historical Japanese: How to apply
- Ichimura,Tarō; Watanabe, Yuki (Adjunct Researcher)
Assisting in Development
- Ogiso, Toshinobu (Associate Professor); Tanaka, Makirō (Invited Scholar / Professor, Meiji University)
- Kōno, Tomoaki (Postdoctoral Research Fellow)
- Kawase, Akihiro; Murayama, Miwako (Adjunct Researcher)
- Horikawa, Chiaki; Takida, Yūko (Technical Staff)
- Yamada, Rina; Kasa, Mayumi; Ōsaka, Tomofumi (Production assistants)
- Kobayashi, Masayuki (Associate Professor, Gunma University)
* Titles are current with the time of development
The corpus compilation was supported by the "Design for a Diachronic Corpus"
(2009--2016) project and the "The Construction of Diachronic Corpora and New Developments in Research on the History of Japanese" (2016--) project.